Thursday, 6 October 2011

Skip - 3DsMax Development

I was tasked with developing a skip from a primitive box today in 3DsMax using a variety of newly learned tools. The most used of these so far has been extrude, inlet, hinge, bevel, align X Y Z and slicing. I've been learning a lot of useful things myself along the way such as selective slicing and merging polygons in either point or edge mode.

Here is the finished render of my skip, I have also provided a reference photo that I took outside my accomodation on the way home. I think its important to note because of the way I set the UV map up, it reverses the texture on the opposite side as it is symmetrical, so I have chosen letters/numbers which will appear the same whether they are flipped or not. ( I will post shots of the actual polygon wireframe once I have access to 3DsMax again )

H I created a small environment to place the 3D skip so it didn't seem out of place or floating, I believe this helps bring believability to the object and can sometimes bring out flaws in the design. Here is the texture I created for the ground, and also the UV Map and texture for the skip. (I unwrapped it in Cinema 4D)

Anvil - 3DsMax Development

Insert Content

Steggosaurus Development

I developed this model in Cinema 4D as I wasn't satisfied with the standard of my work from the initial lesson. I've tried to keep the polgon count as low as possible but also keep the model looking organic and to some extent realistic. I've also UV unwrapped the model and created a texture for it, I've repaired the original seam by using BodyPaint (a module of Cinema 4D) which is literally a 3D version of Photoshop. I was able to use a combination of clone stamps, brushes and erasers to the existing .psd layers I'd produced on Photoshop to get a seamless join.

Here is the initial model rendered with some of my own presets I created a while back (trying to give the impression of an ink drawing) I feel it represents the silhouette and shape quite well.
Here are two renders of the model with global illumination on and a cell render over the top to display the polygons. At this stage I decided it wasn't refined enough and I didn't like the shape of the head it didn't seem very well defined.

I then got some feedback from friends and decided to go further with the model. I created the UV Map after having some fun using the UV unwrapping tools in ZBrush which are brilliant for organic models. The face isn't very good but I was more focused on the whole model and because I was limited for time I decided it wasn't important at this stage.

Here is the UV Map

Here is the displacement map which would modify each vertex so be slightly raised or lowered, but also allow sub-poly displacement giving the effect of a more realistic skin.

Here is the normal map which will give depth to the texture, allowing the scales to catch light and shadow much more realistically.

And finally here is the actual texture of the skin, I've tried to produce a scale like material as the base.

Here is a couple of renders I did using the newly modified model and textures.

Initial 3DsMax Development

Insert 3DsMax screenshots