Thursday 6 October 2011

Steggosaurus Development

I developed this model in Cinema 4D as I wasn't satisfied with the standard of my work from the initial lesson. I've tried to keep the polgon count as low as possible but also keep the model looking organic and to some extent realistic. I've also UV unwrapped the model and created a texture for it, I've repaired the original seam by using BodyPaint (a module of Cinema 4D) which is literally a 3D version of Photoshop. I was able to use a combination of clone stamps, brushes and erasers to the existing .psd layers I'd produced on Photoshop to get a seamless join.

Here is the initial model rendered with some of my own presets I created a while back (trying to give the impression of an ink drawing) I feel it represents the silhouette and shape quite well.
Here are two renders of the model with global illumination on and a cell render over the top to display the polygons. At this stage I decided it wasn't refined enough and I didn't like the shape of the head it didn't seem very well defined.


I then got some feedback from friends and decided to go further with the model. I created the UV Map after having some fun using the UV unwrapping tools in ZBrush which are brilliant for organic models. The face isn't very good but I was more focused on the whole model and because I was limited for time I decided it wasn't important at this stage.

Here is the UV Map

  
Here is the displacement map which would modify each vertex so be slightly raised or lowered, but also allow sub-poly displacement giving the effect of a more realistic skin.


Here is the normal map which will give depth to the texture, allowing the scales to catch light and shadow much more realistically.



And finally here is the actual texture of the skin, I've tried to produce a scale like material as the base.


Here is a couple of renders I did using the newly modified model and textures.



No comments:

Post a Comment